Principal Technical Consultant-Construction
Location: San Bernardino
Posted on: September 10, 2019
PRINCIPAL TECHNICAL CONSULTANT CONSTRUCTION SAN
BERNARDINOOpportunity : Parsons Corporation has an immediate
opening for a Principal Technical Consultant in our construction
group to provide technical oversight and management of multiple
projects in San Bernardino County. Under general Direction, this
individual will provide management oversight of SBCTA freeway,
interchange and railroad grade separation projects during the
construction phase; manage the construction management services
consultants to provide the highest quality construction product
compliant with State and Federal Highway Administration
requirements and ensures that it is delivered on time, within scope
and budget; coordinates with stakeholders, property owners, and
utility companies; provides technical support to the project
management team; and performs related duties as
required.Supervision Received and Exercised: Receives general
direction from the Director of Project Delivery and Toll Operations
and the SBCTA Construction Manager. Exercises no direct supervision
over SBCTA staff; provides management and oversight to construction
management services consultants and construction contractors. Also
reports directly to Parsons on site Program
Manager.Characteristics: This role is responsible for managing
multiple freeway, major highway, railway grade separation,
interchange, and freeway landscaping projects, directing and
advising a number of consultant construction management staff
including engineers, inspectors, and other members of construction
management services teams. Basic Responsibilities :
- Manages multiple freeway and railway grade separation projects
using a variety of construction, construction management, materials
testing and surveying contractors.
- Directs and advises consultant construction management staff
including resident engineers, inspectors, and other members of
construction management services teams on project quality, contract
compliance, claims resolution, and interaction with various
technical disciplines associated with SBCTA construction
- Manages project issues to avoid additional costs and project
- Promotes safety on jobsites for workers and the public.
- Establishes and maintains effective project working
relationships with contractors, SBCTA, cities, and Caltrans
- Reviews contract documents.
- Monitors, negotiates claims and change orders, and recommends
for approval to the SBCTA Construction Manager.
- Expedites resolution of design and field coordination
- Reviews and recommends approval of invoices and progress
- Provides guidance to construction management services teams and
construction contractors in the area of environmental
- Prepares and presents written and oral reports.
- Oversees the development of consultant requests for proposals
and qualifications for professional services; evaluates proposals
and recommends project award; develops and reviews contract terms
and amendments; ensures contractor compliance with SBCTA standards
and specifications and time and budget estimates; reviews and
updates deliverables; analyzes and resolves complex problems that
- Reviews project sites during construction for quality,
schedule, SWPPP, and safety, etc.
- Monitors environmental compliance on projects.
- Maintains awareness of current federal, state and local
regulations related to construction management and assures
- Participates in federal and/or state audits.
- Analyzes federal, state, and local legislative proposals for
impact on assigned operations; plans, coordinates and evaluates
activities associated with assigned contracts;
- Manages special projects and tasks by coordinating with team
members and appropriate personnel; documents actions and schedules
as appropriate to ensure project/task is completed within the
- Analyzes workflow and recommends improvement.
- Performs other duties as assigned.Qualification : Knowledge of:
- Principles and practices of construction project development as
applied to the design, cost estimating, construction, installation,
and inspection of a wide variety of transportation systems.
- Principles and practices used in the acquisition of
professional services in accordance with current California pubic
contract codes, the Department of Transportation Standard
Specification for highway construction, Federal Highway
Administration regulations, local agency, and industry
- Fundamentals of environmental impact assessment and related
- Fundamentals of environmental laws and financial analysis.
- Principles and practices of budget development and
administration, contract administration, and sound financial
- Applicable federal, state, and local laws, regulatory codes,
ordinances, and procedures related to assigned area of
- Recent and on-going developments, current literature, and
sources of information related to active and upcoming
- Record keeping principles and procedures.
- Modern office practices, methods, and computer equipment and
applications related to the work.
- English usage, grammar, spelling, vocabulary, and
- Techniques for effectively representing SBCTA in contacts with
governmental agencies, community groups, and various business,
professional, educational, regulatory, and legislative
- Techniques for providing a high level of customer service by
effectively dealing with the public, vendors, contractors, and
- Caltrans standard specifications, plans, and special provisions
and applicability to on-system projects. Must know Caltrans filing
systems and construction requirements.Ability to:
- Prepare clear and concise reports, correspondence, policies,
procedures, and other written materials.
- Interpret, apply, and ensure compliance with Federal, State,
and local policies, procedures, laws, and regulations.
- Represent SBCTA in meetings with governmental agencies,
contractors, vendors, and various businesses, professional,
regulatory, and legislative organizations.
- Establish and maintain a variety of record keeping and project
- Organize and prioritize a variety of projects and multiple
tasks in an effective and timely manner; organize teamwork, set
priorities, and meet critical time deadlines.
- Use English effectively to communicate in person, over the
telephone, and in writing.
- Use tact, initiative, prudence, and independent judgment within
general policy, procedural, and legal guidelines.
- Establish, maintain, and foster positive and effective working
relationships with those contacted in the course of work.Education
and/or Experience:Any combination of training and experience that
would provide the required knowledge, skills, and abilities is
qualifying. A typical way to obtain the required qualifications
would be:Equivalent to graduation from an accredited four-year
college or university with major coursework in civil engineering,
construction management, or a related field and eight (8) years of
experience in transportation design or construction, including four
(4) years of experience serving as a resident engineer on major
transportation construction contracts managing complex construction
projects.Licenses and Certifications:
- Possession of or ability to obtain a California driver's
license and proof of automobile liability insurance by time of
- Registration as a Professional Engineer by the California Board
for Professional Engineers and Land Surveyors is preferred.Physical
Demands : Must possess mobility to work in the field as well as in
a standard office setting. The employee is frequently required to
walk, sit, climb or balance, stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl.
Activities include frequent walking and standing as well as
bending, squatting, and kneeling. In the office, use of standard
office equipment is required, including a computer; to operate a
motor vehicle and to visit various SBCTA meeting sites; vision to
read printed materials and a computer screen; and hearing and
speech to communicate in person and over the telephone. This is
primarily a sedentary office classification although standing in
and walking between work areas may be required. Finger dexterity is
needed to access, enter, and retrieve data using a computer
keyboard or calculator and to operate standard office equipment.
Positions in this classification bend, stoop, kneel, reach, push,
and pull drawers open and closed to retrieve and file information.
Employees must possess the ability to lift, carry, push, and pull
materials and objects up to 25 pounds.Environmental Elements :
Employee frequently conducts field inspections outdoors under
variable weather conditions, is exposed to loud noise during
construction activities, and is occasionally exposed to fumes or
airborne particles. The employee also works in an office
environment with moderate noise levels and controlled temperature
conditions. The employee interfaces with staff, management, other
departmental representatives, transportation and government
officials, business representatives, and the general public in
explaining SBCTA policies and requesting and providing
information._Ready for action? Were looking for the kind of people
who see this opportunity and dont hesitate to act. Parsons is a
leader in the world of Technical Services and Engineering. We hire
people with a broad set of technical skills who have proven
experience tackling some of the greatest challenges. Take your next
step and apply today.Parsons is a digitally enabled solutions
provider focused on the defense, security, and infrastructure
markets. With nearly 75 years of experience, Parsons is uniquely
qualified to deliver cyber/converged security, technology-based
intellectual property, and other innovative services to federal,
regional, and local government agencies, as well as to private
industrial customers worldwide.--Parsons is an equal opportunity,
drug-free employer committed to diversity in the workplace.
Minority/Female/Disabled/Protected Veteran/LGBT.--For more about
Parsons, visit--parsons.com--and follow us
Keywords: PARSONS, San Bernardino , Principal Technical Consultant-Construction, Other , San Bernardino, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!