Faculty - Pharmacology (Full-time)
Company: California University of Science and Medicine (CUS
Location: San Bernardino
Posted on: January 12, 2019
Title: Faculty- PharmacologyExempt: Full-timeDepartment Name: Medical Education Supervisor: Dean Special Requirements and Conditions: NoneItems Used: Computer, typical office equipmentPosition Purpose: The primary responsibility will be to teach flipped classroom content to M1/M2 Medical Students.Essential Function: % TimeTeaching expertise must include:
- Proficiency in curriculum development. A candidate must be able to develop and deliver teaching content using modern pedagogical methods. This includes a proven ability to formulate learning outcomes that dovetail with reading assignments and quality assessments according to best-practice techniques and competency standards set by accrediting organizations.
- A demonstrated facility developing taped video lectures using Camtasia (or a similar video editing program like Articulate or Captivate) that can be streamed to students prior to a flipped-classroom exercise. As part of the hiring process, candidates selected for interview must submit a video lecture of a subject chosen by the pharmacology faculty. The video lecture should be developed at the appropriate level, using Katzung as the major textbook, with Goodman and Gillman and DiPiro as back-up sources. By way of guidance, a regular 50-minute face-to-face lecture would normally be recorded and edited to about 35-40 minutes. If a candidate selected for interview has not taught using this modality in the past, they will be provided instructions for making a taped video lecture and posting it to a streaming service for critical review by the selection committee.
- Substantiated expertise teaching pharmacology in an integrated, clinically relevant context within a system-based curriculum that incorporates anatomy, biochemistry, physiology, microbiology, immunology and pathology.
- Contributing to the process of student assessment by developing, implementing, and evaluating assessment materials and procedures.
- Promoting and using active learning techniques in the classroom General responsibilities include:
- The ability to be a College Mentor and facilitate student learning of the "clinical presentations," in a modified problem-based format.
- Engagement in scholarly activities. Other Responsibilities:
- Position may include administrative oversight of the student educational research project course, and/or responsibilities as Course Director.
- Candidates must possess a strong commitment to working in an environment focused on innovation, learning/student-centered education, technology, and professional development.
- Faculty members will also assume administrative duties, including service on standing committees of the school, either in an elected or an appointed capacity.
- Other faculty duties as assigned. Minimum Requirements
- A Ph.D., M.D., M.D./Ph.D. or Pharm.D. in Pharmacology or related discipline with demonstrated undergraduate or graduate school teaching experience at accredited universities. Eligible to be appointed at the assistant, associate, or full professor level.
- Experience with college/university personnel, policies, and procedures, as well as current trends in higher education. Demonstrated knowledge and skills in program planning, project management, and academic administration; evidence of successful collaboration, and interdisciplinary work.
- Demonstrated commitment to support the mission of the university and the vision to inspire, motivate, and empower students to become excellent physicians, scientists, and leaders. Commitment to diversity and inclusion as part of our conviction that the presence of diversity enriches an institution of higher learning.
- Outstanding communication skills in writing, speaking, presenting, and listening; display a collaborative and entrepreneurial spirit. Ability to handle sensitive situations and information with discretion. Demonstrated ability to interact professionally with diplomacy, patience, and courtesy with diverse groups; ability to establish and maintain effective and cooperative working relationships while providing exceptional customer service. Ability to develop and deliver presentations. Demonstrated oral and written communication skills to communicate and interact effectively with colleagues, faculty, students, and visitors.
- Ability to supervise, advise, training and assess faculty members and students; including organizing, prioritizing, and scheduling assignments. Ability to foster a cooperative work environment.
- Demonstrated skill in working independently and completing assignments according to defined goals and objectives. Ability to effectively prioritize and deliver assignments under pressure of deadlines, and with frequent interruptions and competing priorities. Must be able to adjust priorities quickly, multitask with excellent organizational skills. Demonstrated experience in a fast paced, high volume environment.
- Demonstrated high attention to detail. Demonstrated skill in analyzing information to define and follow up on problems or objectives. Can identify solutions and independently act toward solving problems.
- Demonstrated proficient skill in effectively using a computer and applications such as Microsoft Office 365 (Outlook, Word, Excel, and Power Point).
- Ability to sit or stand for long periods of time and use computer; stand, walk, bend, intermittently throughout the day. Ability to work in a university environment; moderate changes in temperature and noise.
- Must successfully complete and pass a pre-employment drug screen/physical and background check through the Department of Justice. Preferred Qualification:Teaching experience using flipped-classroom pedagogy. To apply for an open position, please submit your CV and/or resume to along with your cover letter that states the position you are applying for. All applicants must be able to provide proof of your legal right to work in the U.S. without sponsorship.
Keywords: California University of Science and Medicine (CUS, San Bernardino , Faculty - Pharmacology (Full-time), Other , San Bernardino, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!