Company: Another Source
Location: San Bernardino
Posted on: January 10, 2019
Another Source is assisting California State University, San Bernardino, in recruiting a Payroll Manager to join their team.
California State University, San Bernardino is a preeminent center of intellectual and cultural activity in Inland Southern California. Opened in 1965 and set at the foothills of the beautiful San Bernardino Mountains, the university serves more than 20,000 students each year and graduates about 4,000 students annually.
Cal State San Bernardino has set records in enrollment, diversity of faculty and students, grant and contract funding, overhead funds, fundraising and international programs development. CSUSB ranks as the second-safest among all 33 public universities in California.
Cal State San Bernardino is listed among the best colleges and universities in the western United States, according to The Princeton Review, Forbes and U.S. News and World Report, in their respective annual rankings. It also is part of the President's Higher Education Community Service Honor Roll, With Distinction the highest federal recognition a college or university can receive for its commitment to service-learning and civic engagement. In addition, it is a "Military Friendly School" according to G.I. Jobs. CSUSB's College of Business and Public Administration was named by European CEO Magazine as one of the four most innovative business schools in the U.S. and among the top 18 in the world. The Sierra Club named CSUSB one of "America's Coolest Schools." The university has an annual statewide economic impact of more than half a billion dollars, along with more than $32 million in yearly statewide tax revenue.
Under general direction of Associate Vice President of Human Resources, the Payroll Manager is responsible for all daily operational functions of the payroll unit including compliance with state and federal laws, regulations, CSU policies, and CSU Collective Bargaining Agreements; training, assigning daily workload to payroll technicians; interpreting rules, regulations and policies included in the State Controllers' Office (SCO) Payroll Procedures Manual and the Personnel Information Management Systems database (PIMS); and ensuring quality control of payroll transactions by auditing payroll transactions on a routine basis. The incumbent has final authority on all procedural matters regarding payroll operations and has direct and continuing contact with the SCO, the California State University (CSU), Chancellor's Office Payroll Administrators, campus administrators, faculty, staff and student employees in providing assistance and clarification of the interpretation of the state payroll system and CSU payroll policies and practices.
* Leadership, employee engagement, team building, and professional development practices;
* Applicable state and federal laws and regulations governing payroll/personnel practices in a collective bargaining environment;
* Business strategy and techniques for leading and aligning payroll programs and services with strategic business priorities;
* General knowledge of accounting and budgeting procedures as they relate to payroll/personnel transactions;
* Integrated administrative management database systems; Oracle PeopleSoft HCM 9.0 or higher strongly preferred;
* English usage, spelling, grammar, and punctuation;
* Modern office methods, practices, procedures and equipment; and
* Microsoft Office software products, particularly Word, Excel, and Access.
* Coordinate the work of the Payroll Office to meet critical deadlines;
* Explain complex payroll matters in a courteous and tactful manner to ensure maximum understanding on the part of administrators, faculty, staff and student employees;
* Apply laws and regulations related to employment, payroll and benefits administration in a large and complex organization;
* Interpret and administer a wide variety of state and federal labor laws, collective bargaining agreements as well as organizational policies and procedures;
* Plan, coordinate, and direct the work of subordinate staff engaged in various professional, technical, and clerical functions;
* Quickly learn and apply a variety of CSU and CSUSB policies and procedures and collective bargaining agreements;
* Effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, customers, CSU, and the general public;
* Initiate actions, define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions and to interpret applicable laws using sound judgment by gathering data, reasoning logically, and drawing valid conclusions;
* Analyze and make thoughtful decisions and work effectively in a fast-paced environment;
* Set and multi-task priorities and deadlines to ensure that multiple projects are consistently completed in a timely manner;
* Exercise considerable judgement and discretion in effectively establishing and maintaining positive working relationships, support of a culture of mutual respect and effectively collaborate with all levels of the organization;
* Lead by inspiring, motivating and mentoring others toward goal achievement;
* Foster a strong customer service culture; and
* Communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
Education and Experience:
* Equivalent to five (5) years of progressively responsible professional/administrative experience in payroll and/or human resources management in an organization with complex personnel systems including at least two (2) years in lead/supervisory role.
Equivalent to graduation from an accredited four-year college or university with a bachelor's degree in Human Resource Management, Public Administration, Business Administration, Industrial Relations, or a job-related field and experience in a public institution of higher education or a government agency is preferred.
A background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate can be offered a position with the CSU. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the application status of applicants or continued employment of current CSU employees who apply for the position.
The person holding this position is considered a `mandated reporter' under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
California State University, San Bernardino is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. We consider qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, age, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, medical condition, disability, marital status, or protected veteran status.
This position may be "Designated" under California State University's Conflict of Interest Code. This would require the filing of a Statement of Economic Interest on an annual basis and the completion of training within 6 months of assuming office and every 2 years thereafter. Visit the Human Resources Conflict of Interest webpage link for additional information: http://hrd.csusb.edu/conflictInterest.html
This position adheres to CSU policies against Sex Discrimination, Sexual Harassment, and Sexual Violence, including Domestic Violence, Dating Violence, and Stalking. This requires completion of Sexual Violence Prevention Training within 6 months of assuming employment and on a two-year basis thereafter. (Executive Order 1096)
Another Source works with their clients, on a retained project basis, to maximize the recruiting process. .
Keywords: Another Source, San Bernardino , Payroll Manager, Executive , San Bernardino, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!