State Medical Director needed - San Bernardino, CA (HPM) (Physician #)
Location: San Bernardino
Posted on: January 11, 2021
Hospice/Palliative Medicine opening in San Bernardino,
California. State Medical Director (Primary Care) needed in San
Headquartered in Denver, Colo., InnovAge offers PACE in Colorado,
California, New Mexico, Pennsylvania, and Virginia. Our
approximately 2,000 employees serve nearly 6,000 seniors. In
Colorado, we also offer home care services for seniors, and own two
affordable senior housing communities in the Denver metro area. The
mission of InnovAge is to allow seniors to live life on their terms
- by aging in place, in their own homes and communities, for as
long as safely possible. The primary way we do this is through
PACE. InnovAge is committed to expanding PACE to serve more seniors
in more communities.
Job Summary When hired, the State Medical Director provides
leadership within a single State/Center at InnovAge. Under the
supervision of the Area Medical Director, the State Medical
Director is responsible for the day to day medical operations at
the center(s) and provides supervision of physicians and adult
nurse practitioners. If there is no Area Medical Director for this
center, the State Medical Director reports directly to the Regional
Medical Officer. The State Medical Director is responsible for the
compliance with the department budget, quality initiatives and
other duties assigned by Executive staff. This position is
responsible for the medical care of InnovAge participants across a
variety of settings, including but not limited to the ADHC clinic,
participants' homes, the nursing home, assisted living facilities
and personal care boarding homes. Direct hospital inpatient care is
not required but close coordination of care with hospital based
providers is essential.
Essential Functions and Work Responsibilities Functional Category:
Primary Care Estimated Percent of time Spent - 60%
- Provide medical care to InnovAge PACE participants, including
the evaluation, diagnosis and management of their medical
conditions, including but not limited to taking of a medical
history, performance of physical examination, ordering and
interpretation of diagnostic tests, formulation of an assessment of
condition and a treatment plan, writing prescriptions, ongoing
follow up of same, and management of medical information from
specialists and hospital teams.
- Document medical care in the participant's medical record, in
compliance with InnovAge PACE documentation policies. May include
involvement with the establishment of electronic medical records
and providing the Area Medical Director/Regional Medical Officer
with input around needed ongoing EMR enhancements.
- Supervises and provides after-hours medical coverage plan to
assure that a physician is available 24 hours a day, 365 days per
year. May supervise the scheduling of this call.
- Participate within the interdisciplinary team in the
formulation of Plans of Care for InnovAge PACE participants, as
well as in other interdisciplinary team settings that further the
care of InnovAge PACE participants.
- Contribute in the quality improvement initiatives of InnovAge
- Presents input into, initiates and/or facilitates new medical
programs and processes in support of InnovAge PACE's strategic
goals. Functional Category: Administrative Estimated Percent of
time Spent - 30%
- Assists the finance department Primary Care structure with the
preparation of the primary care budget.
- Supports the strategic goals and vision of InnovAge and
- Provides reports to the Chief Medical Officer Population Health
monthly on the following areas:
- Inpatient Utilization
- Emergency department utilization
- Outpatient specialist utilization
- Nursing home utilization
- Pharmacy utilization
- Areas where there is a significant variance from budget
- Explains budget variances to the Regional Medical Officer on a
- Participates in the quality initiatives of InnovAge PACE in
conjunction with the Quality Department.
- Champions at least one primary care strategic initiative
- Coordinates the regular primary care team meetings.
- Participates in other projects that impact the primary care
department as needed at the direction of the Executive Staff.
Functional Category: Supervision Estimated Percent of time Spent -
- Responsible for the recruitment, hiring and termination of
primary care staff under the supervision and in consultation with
the Area Medical Director.
- Effectively supervises and manages direct reports and provides,
by example and leadership, motivation and direction to employees of
- Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the
organization's policies and applicable state and federal employment
- Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training
employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising
performance; recognizing and rewarding employees; corrective
disciplinary procedures and practices (under direction of
supervisor and in partnership with Human Resources), addressing
complaints and resolving problems.
- Ensures annual employee performance reviews are conducted in a
timely and effective manner. Evaluates performance of employees for
compliance with established policies and objectives of the
organization and contributions in attaining objectives.
- Helps set the tone of the department to ensure morale, team
work, and that the positive employment culture of the organization
- Regularly schedules leadership/management, department, and
staff 1:1 meetings to provide leadership, development, and a forum
for communication to ensure coordination and collaboration in
meeting organization and individual goals. Travel Requirements
- Travel required
- Overnight travel out of state
- Travel to participant and potential participant homes and/or
other off site locations Relocation
- Must be open to relocation based on business necessity
Qualifications REQUIRED Education
- Doctor of Medicine or Osteopathy degree required Licensure,
Certification, Registration or Designation
- Current active Medical License for the state in which
- DEA number
- Adequate malpractice coverage required
- Board Certification in a primary care field required
- Not on Preclusion list Work Experience and Qualifications
- A minimum of one year working with the frail or elderly is
InnovAge is proud to offer a comprehensive benefits package to
eligible regular full-time and regular part-time employees who work
at least 24 hours per week.
Keywords: InnovAge, San Bernardino , State Medical Director needed - San Bernardino, CA (HPM) (Physician #), Executive , San Bernardino, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!